The pictures on this page are "thumbnails", meaning that you can click on them to enlarge and use the 'back" or "return" button to return to this page.
Westmoreland Depot 1948
This photo shows the intersection of Park Street and Austin Peay Hwy (Hwy 52) as it appeared in 1948. Clearly visible is the depot, built in 1886, which greeted rail passengers along with the park area. The adjoining park was the scene of many events ranging from carnivals, gospel meetings and political rallies to trials conducted by justices of the peace. Also visible in the photo is the present day town hall (on the corner) which was then a bank building. The building was constructed in 1925.
Visible in this view of Park Street is the row of buildings which still line the street today. The oldest of the brick buildings is the one appearing in the far right of the photo. Built by Harlan Law as a hardware store prior to 1920, the building today serves as the location for one of the town’s more unique enterprises, the Old Country Store. The empty field in the far distance to the rear of the storefronts is the present day location of the Westmoreland Elementary School.
Westmoreland School 1948
Built in 1928, the “Hilltopper” school of Westmoreland was the pride of the community until it was destroyed by fire in December of 1955. At the time of this photo, the Agricultural Annex was under construction. It would be the only part of the structure to survive the destructive fire and still stands today. This school was the sight of the East Sumner Fair, one of the county’s largest such events in the late 30s and early 1940s. Those who attended this school frequently gather for reunions today and class graduation photos can be seen in the auditorium of the present day Westmoreland Middle School.
Caldwell House 1904
Joe Caldwell was an enterprising young man who made his mark on the Westmoreland area in the early 1900s. He constructed this large house in 1904 for his family which is shown in the photo. The house prominently stands in Westmoreland today on Austin Peay Hwy. Caldwell also constructed a fine brick business building which presently houses Kendall’s Realty and Auction. Both structures have been restored in recent years.
First officials for the Town of Westmoreland
First telephone installed in Westmoreland